From: wiktor w brodlo <wiktor@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo Anaconda Final Report
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 23:01:01
1 Hey Gentooers,
4 *Intro*
5
6 Gentoo Anaconda is a fork of Sabayon Anaconda which is a fork of
7 Fedora/Red Hat Anaconda. Anaconda is an installer for Linux disros,
8 originally for Fedora/RH but now it's distro-independent and many
9 other distros use it as their installer. Sabayon is a binary distro
10 based on Gentoo.
11
12 *Where are we?*
13 The installer can install a Gentoo and configure all the settings that
14 appear on the installer screens. The mirror support is still a little
15 buggy but not terribly so. The settings on the screens are the ones
16 included in the first part of the handbook, after the installer is
17 done you should reboot into a nice, basic but working Gentoo install.
18 It can also install xorg and a desktop environment, but it's still
19 unable to perform any additional actions that might be needed. This is
20 something I need to put some more work into, but since I don't know
21 all the environments that well, I'll need to talk to some people who
22 do before I can implement that.
23 Custom kernel support exists, and is in the code, but it's disabled as
24 it's not fully working (I did say on my original proposal that I can't
25 promise this one). Once I can polish it off, I will enable the
26 appropriate screen.
27
28 There is a bug in one of the packages that Anaconda depends on, which
29 can sometimes result in the installer hanging during the installation,
30 but I think the bug is in the ebuild. Since dependencies are not the
31 project itself, I don't consider this as an Anaconda bug.
32
33 *Where to go now?*
34 Overall, I feel that I've satisfied my original proposal of creating a
35 working, usable Gentoo installer. It's been fun but it's still a long
36 way to go before it can become a more official installer. I would like
37 to become a Gentoo developer so I can work on the installer further.
38 One of the first things I'd like to do is to write a proper,
39 interface-agnostic, installer backend, that the Anaconda installer, or
40 any other Gentoo installer will be able to use to query the available
41 options and run actions in a standard way. I would also like to write
42 a better error handling during the installation phase, as sometimes
43 packages fail to emerge for various reasons (failed to download, ran
44 out of memory etc., the usual stuff). I will also continue my
45 never-ending quest of slimming Anaconda down as there's still a lot of
46 dead/useless code in the tree (but figuring out what can go and what
47 should stay is a task on its own).
48
49 The source code is available in the Git repo, so are the installation
50 instructions. Details are available at
51 <http://soc.dev.gentoo.org/~wiktor/>.
52
53 Thanks to everyone, special thanks to my mentor Calchan and the releng
54 team for the awesome LiveDVDs that I keep spinning.
55
56 ~ wiktor.