From: Antoine Pinsard <antoine.pinsard@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Project Proposal : GenCC for "Gentoo Community Compiling"
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 21:08:31
1 On Tue, 2013-02-19 at 02:20 +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > You should study what had been done in the past (distcc, icecream etc)
3 > and figure out what they are lacking and why nobody is using them on a
4 > geographic network.
5 >
6 > Then you have the problem of building a ring of trust strong enough.
7 >
8 > And eventually you have to come to term with how compilers behave
9 > differently depending on a number of situations.
10 >
11 > Looks a quite good research project but I warn you not to expect quick
12 > or easy results.
13 >
14 > lu
17 (Please excuse in advance my English expression that might not always
18 fit exactly what I mean to say, I'm actively trying to improve it.)
19
20 I think that, from the previous messages and my few searches on the
21 Internet, such a project can't be achieved yet. This could be
22 interesting to spend three months collecting resources, parsing them,
23 writing a synthesis and hopefully opening new doors to research. However
24 I don't believe this is the goal of the summer of code. From what I
25 understood, this is more about getting involved in an open source
26 project and achieving an end-product or improving an existing one.
27
28 I will keep tracking this research subject though and learn more about
29 distcc, icecream and similar tools on my spare time.
30
31 Regards,
32
33 Antoine Pinsard