From: "Seaton
To: "gentoo-soc@l.g.o" <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Plan 9 From Gentoo: Weekly Progress Report #9
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:27:16
1 Hi, all.
2
3 Plan 9 From Gentoo is a 2010 GSoC project to overlay a Plan 9 inspired userspace on top of a Gentoo base system in the form of a liveCD.
4
5 Project page: http://soc.dev.gentoo.org/~rps/plan9/
6 LiveCD image: http://soc.dev.gentoo.org/~rps/plan9-download/plan9-from-gentoo-x86-minimal.iso
7
8 This week I:
9 * Got Portage working on the liveCD image.
10 * Worked on porting the Glendix patches to a newer kernel. I'm blocked on this until Anant gets back to me regarding an issue I'm running up against with the do_filp_open() function.
11 * Set up a project page for Plan 9 From Gentoo.
12 * Generated a -BETA release of Plan 9 From Gentoo.
13 * Uploaded the -BETA image and stage3 tarball to the soc servers, where everyone can now test it out. :)
14
15 For the upcoming week, I'm going to contact gregkh about the possibility of seeing some of the Plan 9 patches upstreamed. I'm also going to send a message to both Rich and EBo, who expressed interest in trying out Plan 9 From Gentoo, informing them that the liveCD images are available for download. I intend to send these emails out after I've finished this progress report.
16
17 I'm also going to work on fleshing out the project page. At the very least, I definitely want to add some screenshots of Plan 9 From Gentoo in action to the page so that interested users can get a taste of Plan 9 From Gentoo without downloading it. I have ideas for a couple of other pages, like an FAQ or maybe a tutorial on remastering Plan 9 From Gentoo. These aren't a huge priority, just nice-to-haves. I may or may not work on them, depending on how much time I end up working on the Glendix patches.
18
19 My final goals for this week are 1) get the Glendix patches forward ported to 2.6.39.2 and 2) port at least one syscall from Plan 9 to Linux. So far, Glendix has 10 of 51 syscalls ported from Plan 9 to Gentoo/Linux. I'm confident that porting the first syscall will be the most difficult, so I really want to start working on porting at least one this week. I think after I get one working, it will be easier to port the others and I can really get rolling on this phase of the project. Right now, also, most of my work has been writing ebuilds which, while useful, would probably not be very impressive code samples to submit to Google along with my final evaluation. Some kernel hacking would be much more interesting.
20
21 Cheers,
22 rps