From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Progress: Porting relibc
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 07:35:57
1 On 13/07/2020 00:57, Ahmed Soliman wrote:
2 > I tried it on the real gdb code base and unfortunately it crashed but
3 > due to completely different reasons (early crash). I did in fact skip
4 > multiple details, I was inserting printlns everywhere and hacking
5 > through the code trying to just get it working. There were things (for
6 > example : mmap ) disabled in dlmalloc but was required for
7 > for mspaces to work.
8
9 Keep in mind that println/fmt may allocate.
10
11 > Now that I know that the basic idea worked for the memory corruption
12 > proof of concept, I would just git reset --hard and try to implement
13 > the fix as clean as possible.
14 >
15 > What slightly worries me is that I could be totally unlucky and the
16 > crash in gcc and segfault in the POC I created end up being completely
17 > different bugs, and I will have to restart wondering what is causing
18 > memory corruptions.
21 You are fixing bugs that are valid and must be fixed as soon as
22 possible, so do not worry, progress is progress :)
23
24 On the other hand, I wonder if upstream gcc doesn't have a mean to avoid
25 completely dlopen and dynamic linking.
26
27 lu