From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, zmedico@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Multiple Repository Support in Portage - Week 3
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:39:07
1 On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:18:21 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > From pkgcore's view, the 1st ':' is required- if there is no slot
4 > dep, leave it empty. The second demarks the start of a repository
5 > dep.
6
7 I prefer the "always ::" form, simply because it's easier to go "if
8 repo, then add ::repo" than it is to go "if repo, then add :repo, but
9 also stick another : in there if we've not done a slot". What a repo
10 dep looks like shouldn't change based upon whether there's also a slot
11 dep there.
12
13 > > Also note that that specifically only covers packages that are *in*
14 > > the ::gentoo repository. The package you have installed *from* the
15 > > gentoo repository is ::gentoo->/ or ::gentoo->installed .
16 >
17 > '->' doesn't work very well though; specifically, the '-' is allowed
18 > as part of a repository name. Backtracking parsers can handle that
19 > fine, it's just nonoptimal to have one of the splitter char's be part
20 > of the allowed character set for a name.
21
22 Eh, I'd hardly take "your parser must support a single character
23 lookahead" to be a defining argument, especially when you consider the
24 mess that's needed to split pkg-ver up.
25
26 > @, or some other char that is explicitly disallow seems a better
27 > choice.
28
29 The rationale behind -> is that it reads clearly. ::from->to reads like
30 what it does. Experience has shown that users do need and make use of
31 both forms (although unfortunately they're less inclined to appreciate
32 the difference between ::installed and ::/ ), so it's best to pick
33 something they can eventually understand.
34
35 On a semi-related note: real world experience has also shown that every
36 time we've thought about using ::repo deps of any kind in a repository
37 rather than a user context, it's been the wrong thing to do, and the
38 right thing to do is almost always [feature(-)].
41 Ciaran McCreesh