From: Mu Qiao <qiaomuf@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Robert Piasek <dagger@g.o>, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>, Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo NetworkManager Plug-in Weekly Report #6 and #7
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 07:01:50
1 Hi,
2
3 Because I have several exams recently, I combined the report for week 6
4 and week 7.
5
6 I've started dealing with /etc/conf.d/network since the last weekly
7 report. I contacted Roy Marples to understand how /etc/conf.d/network
8 works. /etc/conf.d/network is just a wrapper around ifconfig/ip with the
9 ability to run other commands. It has much less features supported by
10 old /etc/conf.d/net.
11
12 Currently, I modified some code to support:
13 DHCP(not directly supported by /etc/conf.d/network)
14 two IPv4 address formats
15 IPv6 address
16 two IPv4 gateway formats
17 two IPv6 next-hop formats
18
19 I also modified some code to make the plug-in runnable.
20
21 All these features are implemented in network_util.c and they haven't
22 been plugged into NetworkManager. I will make the whole format-parsing
23 source code work properly before plugging into NetworkManager.
24
25 There's several problems when handling the new format. For example, DNS
26 configuration is missing in /etc/conf.d/network but it's very important
27 when making a new connection via NetworkManager. I think it's reasonable
28 for /etc/conf.d/network because it's just a wrapper and should be as
29 simple as possible. But missing some features makes it difficult to
30 implement the plug-in. I will discuss with Robert about these problems.
33 Cheers,
34 Mu Qiao
35 GnuPG fingerprint: 92B1 B0C4 8D14 F8C4 EFA5 3ACC 30B3 0DE4 17B1 57E9