From: Ling Kun <erlv5241@×××××.com>
To: neurogeek@g.o
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] About Gentoo GSoC 2010 idea g-pypi
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:39:44
1 Dear Jesus Rivero, Hi all,
2 I am a student from China and interested in the idea of g-pypi
3 rewrite. Following is some of my general understand of this idea and some
4 questions on it. As a fresh student in GSoC , there must be some
5 misunderstandings about Gentoo's GSoC and g-pypi. Please feel free to reply
6 this thread.
7
8 Something of g-pypi:
9 It is an excellent tool to create ebuild. The ebuild will give much
10 help to whom that want to install package which is listed in Python Package
11 Index. When there is a ebuild, Python Package Index can cooperate with
12 portage.
13 There is a setuptools which can work will package in Python Package
14 Index.But it is not convenient for package management, users should have the
15 package's specific setup.py to manage the package.However, g-pypi is much
16 like a portage in Python Package Index, and tried to handle these function
17 using ebuild, without users reverse the package's source.
18 G-pypi was started at 2006,the last commit is Aug 22, 2008.and now it
19 can't work on my laptop(Python 2.6.4, pygtk-2.16.0-r1). That's why Mr. Jesus
20 Rivero listed it in Gentoo GSoC 2010.
21
22 Is the following plan attractive to the Gentoo GSoC2010 organization?
23
24 1,make it work again.Rewriting is prepared too.
25 2, More precise dependence manage. g-pypi can only give the DEPEND
26 package with no version.
27 3,Maybe a Python Package Index overlay can be create useing g-pypi.
28
29 Any suggestion or ideas welcome.
30
31 Best wishes to all .