From: "Denis M." <god@××××××××.in>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC2013 suggestion - Fix archives.g.o
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 00:57:56
1 On 04/09/2013 12:42 AM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:11:23AM +0200, Denis M. wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >> I want to suggest something here. We all know that archives.g.o hasn't
5 >> been working for some months... From what I've heard from robbat, the
6 >> system is still receiving and processing the emails but it's not
7 >> 'archiving' them... I think it's a good idea if someone can gather a
8 >> group of willing people to fix this, so we can have a gentoo 'official'
9 >> place to read the mailing lists.
10 > I'll provide some more details, in the hopes that somebody will take
11 > this on as a project.
12 Thanks for the valuable information.
13
14 > Yes, I am willing to mentor you and provide some help, but you'll need
15 > to be fairly self-sufficient: I didn't build the archival system, I just
16 > ended up being one of the maintainers.
17 This is a whole new terminology to me that I'm not familiar with at all.
18 I could study the information on the software you have mentioned and
19 most probably be of some help, although it will be almost impossible for
20 me to take care of the entirety of this project, unfortunately.
21
22 If we can gather a (small) group of knowledgeable people I'd be very
23 interested in participating and be of any help possible. If that does
24 not happen, as I said above, it will be impossible for me to take care
25 of this issue by myself.
26 > [..] An
27 > update got applied accidentally, and since then, each run of mhonarc
28 > either crashes or overrides the prior index.
29 Just of out curiosity (and of course someone has already thought of
30 that, but...) - isn't it possible to revert that update and get it
31 running smoothly like before with the less effort possible? I guess
32 there must be some reason behind not have done that already, do you
33 happen to know what the reason is?
34
35 And of course, this is a lame solution to the problem, as what we want
36 to achieve is do a proper fix of it.
39 Regards,
40 Denis M. (Phr33d0m)