From: Pengcheng Xu <i@××××××××.moe>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 13:53:16
1 Nice progress. Looking forward to your elaboration on the LLVM/Clang toolchain for aarch64 host!
2
3 Regards,
4 --
5 Pengcheng Xu
6 https://jsteward.moe
7
8 > -----Original Message-----
9 > From: Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com>
10 > Sent: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:39 PM
11 > To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
12 > Cc: heroxbd@g.o
13 > Subject: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
14 >
15 > Hey Everyone !
16 >
17 > I was about to give a coherent report for what I have been doing for 2
18 > weeks next week, but my mentor suggested to explain my findings briefly.
19 >
20 > I found out that AOSP has actually been phasing out of using GCC in
21 > favour to Clang/LLVM based toolchains. And so, from the last time I
22 > gave in my weekly report, I have been checking up on llvm_android [1],
23 > the source of the toolchain which AOSP uses to build itself.
24 >
25 > I built the toolchain for x86 host using the original scripts AOSP
26 > provides and found out that they in terms of Bionic (Android's libc),
27 > they only copy Bionic's headers, compiles Clang for different targets
28 > using a prebuilt toolchain bundled with the entire package.
29 >
30 > Later, when we build Android, the prebuilt toolchain compiles Bionic and
31 > uses it as intermediatories to compile the other bulk of Android
32 > (frameworks, etc.).
33 >
34 > My main objective I think would be to introduce a aarch64 host config
35 > for llvm_android, and integrate the toolchain in the AOSP build process.
36 > Take this with a grain of salt, as I believe I should put more research
37 > into this first, which is why I was taking another week.
38 >
39 > I would probably write a detailed blog documenting AOSP's build process
40 > by the end of this working week, covering everything we need to proceed.
43 > Regards,
44 > Gunwant
45 >
46 > [1] https://android.googlesource.com/toolchain/llvm_android/

openpgp-digital-signature.asc application/pgp-signature