From: Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 07:40:30
1 Hello Everyone,
2 This week, I started managing the structure for the modified LineageOS
3 fork we would keep. Namely the modified `repo-manifest` [1] and
4 `llvm_android` [2], for now. No patches have been applied to them yet
5 for the reasons discussed below.
6
7 My plan for this week was to start with patching the `llvm_android`
8 build scripts. Android uses a prebuilt Clang (bundled with the repo)
9 among other stuff to build the toolchain. So I had to emerge Clang on my
10 phone.
11 Emerging Clang turned out not to be a breeze when I have a phone with 3
12 gigs of RAM. So for about the longest time, I was busy trying to make up
13 for it. I tried setting up distcc, increased swap/zram, but still the
14 OOM killer got me.
15 Later last night(/day), I came across the tips for building clang/gcc in
16 an embedded Android environment at [3]. So I followed that and as of
17 now, me writing the mail, OOM has not got me, Clang is emerging.
18
19 While I considering the patching part easy, I guess the major bottleneck
20 in the process of building Android natively would be the compilation.
21 Essentially I will have to trade time for memory. I will also give
22 another shot to distcc while I am at this.
23
24 Regardless of problems I faced, I made "TODO" comments in the source and
25 wrote notes about where to patch the build scripts locally. I avidly
26 wait for Clang to compile and then start testing the patched build
27 script.
28
29 Regards,
30 Gunwant