From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2017: Atom Gentoo
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 17:54:49
1 On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 2:58 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 08:39:55PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> > As the genkernel author, there have been debates about replacing the
4 >> > initramfs-generation portion with Dracut (which requires porting of some
5 >> > of the existing initramfs functionality to Dracut) [this is probably a
6 >> > GSOC project candidate as well, but it'll be a lot of work].
7 >> I'm not sure what genkernel functionality dracut is actually missing,
8 >> but you could certainly use dracut even without porting any additional
9 >> functionality to it. Since dracut is highly modular it is probably a
10 >> good starting point.
11 >>
12 >> If anybody does port genkernel functionality to dracut I suggest doing
13 >> it in coordination with upstream so that this isn't some kind of
14 >> Gentoo-specific patch (or more likely a set of modules).
15 > The objective here would be trying for 1:1 compatibility layer with
16 > genkernel initramfs arguments & behavior, such that the upgrade can
17 > detect "are all kernel options presently used supported by the new
18 > version, or would the user have to modify their kernel boot params to
19 > boot safely"
20
21 Is there really any value in having argument/behavior-level
22 compatibility vs simply feature-level compatibility? How many Gentoo
23 tools are actually integrated with genkernel today? It seems like it
24 would make far more sense to just port those to dracut.
27 > Some of the behavior might just be thin wrapping or reuse of dracut
28 > behavior, eg:
29 > - btrfs
30 > - dmcrypt
31 > - iscsi
32 > - lvm
33 > - mdadm
34 > - multipath
35 > - ssh (dropbear)
36 > - zfs
37 > - dmcrypt
38 > - luks
39 > - dmraid
40 > - ataraid
43 If this stuff already works, why bother wrapping it? Do we really
44 need alternative syntax on a popular cross-distro tool?
45
46 > Other parts might be unique and need to be ported still, eg:
47 > - gentoo livedvd
48 > - docache
49 > - aufs
50 > - do/no$HW
51 > - swsusp
52 > - tuxonice
53 > - unionfs
54 > - overlayfs
55 > - fbsplash (I think there are two different implementations even)
56
57 There is nothing wrong with creating dracut modules for these things,
58 and I'm sure that upstream would accept some of them. However, I
59 don't really see any of this as a pre-req for Gentoo Atom.
62 > As a GSOC project, this would probably start by making sure there is a
63 > comprehensive list of genkernel initramfs functionality, and matching
64 > parts to existing dracut functionality, and then prioritizing the
65 > remaining pieces for those that need wrappers vs from-scratch vs
66 > obsolete code.
69 This might make sense as a GSOC project, but it seems more like a
70 dracut/Redhat/Fedora project than a Gentoo one.
73 Rich