From: Ahmed Soliman <ahmedsoliman0x666@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Porting relibc Relibc
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 07:46:29
1 Hi,
2
3 I will try to add a short description here, However, the post should
4 be describing most of the technical issues that I kept track of.
5
6 So i was working on compiling gcc under gentoo and having it linked
7 against relibc. there were plugins for LTO that are part of gcc but
8 used via ld. The plugins are shared object styles, so in order for
9 them to work I needed a working dlopen, dlclose and dlsym. which was
10 not yet implemented in relibc. I implemented all 3, There were
11 challenges where relibc and rust stdlib are not referentially
12 transparent. And that caused problems where there was a relibc copy
13 statically linked against ld.so for internal use and one that is
14 dynamically linked against an arbitrary a.out for external use and
15 although both are the same binary wise, they cannot be used
16 interchangeably for some reason. It was hard figuring out.
17
18 That is also why I mentioned that gdb wasn't useful, not because it
19 wasn't working (in fact I added support for it in a previous patch
20 set) but because of the nature of the bug I faced, It was not
21 something that one can pinpoint quickly when using a debugger.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Ahmed.
25