From: wiktor w brodlo <wiktor@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo Anaconda progress report 2011-06-10
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:31:39
1 Dear Gentooers,
2
3 This report is for the past two weeks, I am very much sorry for not
4 posting a report the previous week (promise it won't happen again!).
5
6 *Intro*
7
8 Gentoo Anaconda is a fork of Sabayon Anaconda which is a fork of
9 Fedora/Red Hat Anaconda. Anaconda is an installer for Linux disros,
10 originally for Fedora/RH but now it's distro-independent and many
11 other distros use it as their installer. Sabayon is a binary distro
12 based on Gentoo.
13
14 *Progress so far*
15
16 I have tried installing Anaconda from the Sabayon overlay on the
17 LiveDVD but apparently that's not as straight-forward as I assumed it
18 would be, so I need to try it again.
19 In the meantime, I have built my overlay and put Anaconda and the
20 dependencies missing from Portage into it. Right now, I am fixing the
21 ebuilds and patching some of the packages, as some of them fail to
22 compile (mostly due to incompatibilities with the newer glibc (easy to
23 fix)) or even fetch. I have already fixed the bugs I have found last
24 week and now I'm fighting with the newer ones. Before someone (me?) is
25 found to take care of these packages, I will simply keep my overlay in
26 sync with Sabayon, but in the long term I would like to see
27 some/most/all packages moved to Portage and assigned maintainers who
28 usually maintain those kinds of packages. This is not a
29 mission-critical issue (at least for now), and of course I will offer
30 help to anyone who wants to take care of them. To see a current list
31 of packages, go to [0] and check what's in the newest commit, or
32 simply clone the repo ;-). I usually push my commits by the end of the
33 day, so check in the mornings (UTC).
34
35 In the following week, I'll finish patching the packages, then I will
36 fix the Anaconda ebuild to use the fork from Gentoo git instead of
37 Sabayon git and try installing Anaconda on the LiveDVD again. If all
38 goes well, I'll be able to proceed doing actual work by Friday. I am
39 still somewhat late but I have spent the entire Wednesday analysing my
40 working pattern to find how can I increase my efficiency. So far it's
41 working and I've managed to do more work on Thursday and Friday than
42 during the rest of this week. I have slightly reworked my schedule and
43 at the current rate I should be back on track by 15-16 June.
44
45 Good luck all,
46 ~ wiktor.