From: Rafael Martins <rafael@×××××××××××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o, Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Distfile patching support - Weekly report #4
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 01:07:42
1 Hi all
2
3 Quick summary: Improve the performance of the Gentoo Linux mirrors by
4 reducing the overall bandwidth load, allowing people to fetch binary
5 patches from the mirrors, instead of the full source tarballs, when
6 updating some package. This project is partially based on GLEP 25.
7
8 The project is ahead of schedule.
9
10 == Progress ==
11
12 This week I did the script to generate deltas for all the available
13 packages in gentoo-x86 tree, as needed. Actually, I added a --all
14 option to distdiffer.py. When I started writing the script I realized
15 that isn't worth to create another script, and just patched
16 distdiffer. It's working ok in my quick tests. I'm still improving the
17 error hanfling and planning how is the best way to deal with malformed
18 deltas by default.
19
20 == Next steps ==
21
22 Next week I'll finally do the big run I was planning for last week.
23 This should take really long as we have more than 14k packages in tree
24 IIRC. I'll be monitoring the test and improving the error handling as
25 needed.
26
27 Best regards,
30 Rafael Goncalves Martins