From: Angelos Perivolaropoulos <aperivol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Introduction GSoC 2016: Gentoo-GPG
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 12:27:46
1 Hello, my name is Angelos “aeroniero” Perivolaropoulos and I am a first
2 year Software Engineering student at the University of Glasgow, Scotland.
3 This is a post introducing my blog
4 <https://blogs.gentoo.org/gsoc2016-gentoo-gpg/> about the progress of my
5 GSoC 2016 project called Gentoo-GPG. The project is divided in two parts,
6 one includes Gentoo-Keys improvements and will span for the first half of
7 the coding period, and the other includes the implementation of the new
8 MetaManifest system for the second half of the coding period.
9
10 Gentoo-Keys is a python based project that allows the user to encrypt and
11 sign their data by creating GPG-Keys. On the other hand, the new
12 MetaManifest system is a system that will provide a more efficient and
13 faster way to verify the integrity of Gentoo packages even over completely
14 untrusted networks. More technical details are included here
15 <https://docs.google.com/document/d/14ZCjQuuoymPBgEEOgCs3Evu44t5ZWxfKSjOdU1AfPcU/edit?usp=sharing>
16 in my proposal.
17
18 Currently, I am in the bonding period of the project, where my goal is to
19 understand the previous code of Gentoo-Keys more thoroughly and learn more
20 about how Portage and GPG work, but at the same time studying for my
21 finals, which was the reason this post was delayed. These past few weeks, I
22 have been looking at the code, reinstalled Gentoo on my laptop to make sure
23 it is working properly and be ready for testing, and started preparing a
24 pull request for maintenance of the previous Gentoo-Keys code.
25
26 This was the first update of the blog
27 <https://blogs.gentoo.org/gsoc2016-gentoo-gpg/> which will be updated
28 weekly showing the progress of the project.
29
30 – aeroniero