From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@×××××××.li>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Configuration managment system
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 03:29:10
1 On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 03:28, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
2 > Its not a bad idea, per-say. I already keep /etc in git and I'm not
3 > convinced that you can make this a whole project. It would probably take  (a
4 > guess) 2 hours to add a hook to portage that runs something after emerge
5 > exits. Similar to /etc/portage/postsync.d/
6
7 Yes I did that once, it sucked. So while it is possible to hack this
8 together in an afternoon properly doing it will take more time. For
9 one thing which I think is significant to make confsink a reliable and
10 pleasant experience to the user I do not want to use hooks.
11
12 Having portage create the ._cfsxxx files only to remove them later is
13 just unclean. It also makes it impossible to check if the relevant
14 branches on the livesystem are clean and to commit to the vanilla
15 branch at the right time. It would actually have to be reconstructed
16 from the merged files along with the ._cfsxxx files.
17
18 Also just using some post hook it is not possible to check that all
19 relevant branches are clean at a reasonable time (after building the
20 list of packages to be merged but before doing so). There are many
21 similar problems to be expected.
22
23 Generally I want it to be done right. Something that can actually be
24 integrated into portage proper. Doing so will require making it an
25 optional feature I am afraid.
26
27 Well, as I have pointed out I would like to design an interface that
28 is carefully designed and pleases both the expert and casual user.
29 Just throwing together some script might not be that much work. But
30 getting the interface right is some work. Modeling it after git of
31 course as an obvious choice as well as makes this easier.
32
33 Not only the frontend needs careful design but also the backend isn't
34 as easily done right as it might seam. Just some random thing that has
35 to be taken care of: How to merge packages/branches in different
36 slots?
37
38 But I do understand your concerns and indeed if one stops here it
39 might not be enough to fill the summer with code. The additional
40 non-essential things that I suggested are not just time fillers. To an
41 Emacs user an Emacs mode always is an improvement over anything else
42 for example :-)
43
44 Any of the things mentioned might not take long to to implement on
45 it's own, but I believe they will sum up.
46
47 > Then after that happens, what's next? Another etc-tool?
48
49 Yes, but a nice one :-) Well actually more like etc-update + equery + ...
50
51 More about this tomorrow, I really have to go to bed now.
52
53 -- Jonas