From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] (draft) final report for OpenRC soc project 2012
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:07:05
1 On 8/22/12 4:04 AM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Dear Luca,
3 >
4 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> writes:
5 >
6 >> On 8/21/12 4:07 PM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
7 >>> For monitoring against OOM http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Monit
8 >>
9 >> So monit could be integrated in openrc easily ?
10 >
11 > In the way of runit, yes.
12 >
13 >>> cron/at is too general to document, there is one at
14 >>>
15 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cron-guide.xml
16 >>
17 >> Agreed.
18 >
19 > :)
20 >
21 >>> upstart is designed to replace cron
22 >>>
23 >>> http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/ReplaceCron
24 >>>
25 >>> systemd recommends to replace cron
26 >>>
27 >>> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Optimizations
28 >>>
29 >>> while OpenRC just work with it. For some fancy new feature to be used on
30 >>> non-servers, like "run every 5 minutes after start up", fcron can be
31 >>> used.
32 >>
33 >> Not sure exactly what should we add here.
34 >
35 > The feature of cron-like feature in systemd is limited, while in upstart
36 > they just replace cron for "cleanness" and integration. I don't think
37 > there is a special task OpenRC/cron can't do.
38 >
39 >>> A stub page is below. Still thinking of how to present it. May be we can
40 >>> just load it with examples which covers all the cases upstart being
41 >>> proud of.
42 >>>
43 >>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/Event_Driven
44 >>
45 >> Yes, might be a good approach.
46 >
47 > New examples welcome ;) How would gentoo deal with udev is still
48 > unclear, while I think we can document the present udev features. udev
49 > merge with systemd is not a big threat, is it?
50
51 Replacing udev-systemd with udev is probably yet another huge project,
52 hopefully somebody would help.
53
54 meanwhile we have some people using mdev to their satisfaction.
55
56 lu