From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Project Glentoo: Status Report #4
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:25:19
1 On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Robert Seaton <seatonr@××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, I spent some time trying to get distcc working on an
3 > Amazon EC2 high-compute instance to speed up generation of the process
4 > of building a liveCD image, seeing as it takes quite some time to
5 > generate a fresh image on my aging core2duo. I still haven't managed
6 > to get that working, but it's something I plan to continue to look
7 > into during the upcoming week.
8
9 Out of curiosity - did you ever get this working in any practical way?
10 I've found that DistCC to a remote server from a slower host hasn't
11 worked all that well. In order to make up for network latency you
12 need to run VERY parallel builds (-j15/etc), and the problem is that
13 there is no way to tell make to do that just for files that use gcc.
14 The result is that as soon as you hit a package that uses quite a bit
15 of java/python/bash/etc you end up running at -j15 on your local
16 system and it just kills you - especially java.
17
18 If you do find a reliable way of getting DISTCC working with EC2 I for
19 one would love to see a quick write-up!
20
21 Oh, and likewise it sounds like Glentoo is becoming fairly usable, so
22 any quick howtos for those of us who have always wanted to tinker with
23 it would be wonderful. I wouldn't worry about full documentation
24 until you're ready, but feel free to just toss up an illustrative
25 script to start from (download this, boot it, type this, etc).
26
27 Rich