From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: mohit phulera <mohitphulera123@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: Guidance for GSOC's project Improve packaging of scientific software
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 19:17:30
1 Hi!
2
3 On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 00:48:19 +0530 mohit phulera wrote:
4 > Sir,
5 > I am very much interested in this project , I would like to contribute to
6 > this project & take part in GSOC . I have previously contributed to debian
7 > by packaging Node-Js modules . I want to request you to guide me through
8 > this project .I also request you to suggest me about how the proposal
9 > should be , what are the key features that i must include & any markdown"s
10 > to be included in my proposal.
11 > Please Sir , reply to this mail.
12
13 Thank you for your interest in the Gentoo GSOC. You need to learn
14 your way through Gentoo packaging. I suggest you to use Gentoo
15 developer manual[1] as a reference documentations, its first
16 chapter[2] is useful as a quick start guide.
17
18 Your proposal should contain detailed per-week plan of your work
19 during summer, occasionally grouping plan per a couple of weeks is
20 ok, but students with thoughtful and detailed plan usually have
21 better chances. As a start you may pick up topics and packages
22 mentioned at the project wiki page[3,4].
23
24 We recommend to prove your skills by fixing some of our bugs, pick
25 any scientific-related bug[5] and provide us solution via either
26 e-mail patches, bugzilla or github pull requests.
27
28 Subscription to gentoo-soc ML is recommended for further communication.
29
30 [1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/
31 [2] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/quickstart/index.html
32 [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2018/Ideas/Improve_packaging_of_scientific_software