From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Mishal Roy <roymishal210@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Application for Google Summer of Code 2018-Mishal Roy.
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 22:52:48
1 Hi Mishal,
2
3 Thank you for testing out Gentoo on Android.
4
5 Mishal Roy <roymishal210@×××××.com> writes:
6
7 > I installed 32 bit tarball 2016.10.26 on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and
8 > the Gentoo prefix is running nicely.
9
10 > I installed 32 bit tarball 2016.10.26 on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and
11 > ran the startprefix script. I was amazed to see the prefix launching a
12 > Gentoo environment on the Android device natively.
13
14 Is there any compelling reason for not using tarball-2018.02.26?
15
16 Snapdragon 625 in Redmi Note 4 is 64bit. Is the linux kernel on it
17 64bit? If so, you will also be able to install a 64bit Gentoo tarball.
18
19 > I have attached some images relating to the Gentoo prefix on Android.
20
21 Thanks, they look well indeed.
22
23 > When Gentoo environment is launched by the startprefix there is change
24 > in values of SHELL and PATH variables.
25
26 > I typed printenv to get the enivornment variable values.PATH ,SHELL
27 > values were changed after running startprefix.
28
29 Yes, that's expected.
30
31 > Is the root directory changed too for successful working of Gentoo
32 > prefix?
33
34 > Is the ROOT location changed by prefix to run a Gentoo environment ?
35
36 No, the root directory does not change. That is for chroot[1] or linux
37 containers or filesystem namespaces[3]. Gentoo Prefix runs from within
38 a directory prefix.[4] In our case, it is /data/gentoo.
39
40 > Unlike, Gentoo minimal installation CD where user has to mount
41 > proc,sys,dev filesystems and edit configuration files,user doesn't
42 > have to do the same for Gentoo prefix.
43
44 Well, we don't have control over the filesystem layout by Gentoo Prefix
45 on an Android device. It is Android init system that takes care of
46 /proc, /sys, /dev, etc. This might change when the control is
47 transferred from Android to Gentoo in the future.
48
49 > I ran emerge --sync and it worked successfully. Also the emerge --ask
50 > app-office/gnumeric gave a list of dependencies and USE flags.
51
52 Did it build successfully?
53
54 > I see Gentoo Prefix as a powerful tool for Android. For example
55 > Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 didn't have OTG support and inorder to gain
56 > support I had to compile an OTG enabled Android kernel using
57 > computer. By using Portage and Ebuild, Android device can itself
58 > compile kernel source code, build boot image and install that boot
59 > image. Thus making it easy for Android users.
60
61 Nice! As a proof of concept, could you please write an ebuild for the
62 linux kernel of Samsung Galaxy Grand 2?
63
64 > Kindly guide me for further steps.
65
66 How about a kernel ebuild as above?
67
68 Please start drafting your application if you intend to get involved.
69 And circulate on this mailing list for discussion.
70
71 https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
72
73 Cheers,