From: Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly Report: Portage Powered Android
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 08:03:08
1 On 20/07/25 11:00AM, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > Gunwant Jain <therealgunwant@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > Yes it did.
5 > > I can also report that llvm_android's stage1 clang is compiled for
6 > > aarch64, I am on the stage2 step currently.
7 >
8 > Good. Could you please remind me of the meanings of llvm stage1 and
9 > stage2?
10
11 Sure. AOSP provides its own distribution of LLVM. So most of what stage1
12 and stage2 I will be describing could be taken from [1].
13 Basically, we build LLVM stage1 using our own host toolchain. Then we
14 use the newly built stage1 compiler to build stage2, the ready to use
15 toolchain.
16
17 Coming to how this goes in our use-case, if we were to build the LLVM
18 toolchain using llvm_android (basically just build scripts), we will use
19 a prebuilt Clang toolchain, bundled with llvm_android to build stage1.
20 Also AOSP targets only X86 architechture in stage1.
21 After stage1 is built, the build script proceeds to start building
22 stage2. This is where we use the newly built stage1 compilers to build
23 stage2 compilers. AOSP targets AArch64, ARM, X86 and BPF when building
24 stage2. Then the build script packages stage2 install and dumps the tar
25 for our use.
26
27 In the cycle of AOSP development, this newly packaged stage2 will be
28 provided as the prebuilt LLVM toolchain in [2]. This repository is used:
29 - In the AOSP tree, when someone builds a new custom ROM.
30 - In llvm_android as the prebuilt toolchain used to build a version
31 bumped stage1.
32
33 For us, we will have to target AArch64 in building both stage1 and
34 stage2.
37 Regards,
38 Gunwant
39