From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2017: Atom Gentoo
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 00:40:00
1 On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 02:57:21AM -0700, Huimin Zhang wrote:
3 >
4 >> The logic for choosing which partition to boot and maintaining the two
5 >> partitions will be handled in the init of initramfs, and the functionality
6 >> of generating such an initramfs could be patched into genkernel.
7 > As the genkernel author, there have been debates about replacing the
8 > initramfs-generation portion with Dracut (which requires porting of some
9 > of the existing initramfs functionality to Dracut) [this is probably a
10 > GSOC project candidate as well, but it'll be a lot of work].
11
12 I'm not sure what genkernel functionality dracut is actually missing,
13 but you could certainly use dracut even without porting any additional
14 functionality to it. Since dracut is highly modular it is probably a
15 good starting point.
16
17 If anybody does port genkernel functionality to dracut I suggest doing
18 it in coordination with upstream so that this isn't some kind of
19 Gentoo-specific patch (or more likely a set of modules).
22 Rich