From: Vikraman <vikraman.choudhury@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Cc: antarus@g.o, chris@××××××××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Package statistics, midterm report
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:17:27
1 Hi all,
2
3 Welcome to the midterm report of the 'Package statistics' project[0].
4
5 Summary
6 =======
7 The goal of this project is to implement a client-server architecture
8 for reporting and querying package statistics of Gentoo based machines.
9 The client program will be used to collect package statistics from
10 Gentoo installations and submit them to a central server. The server
11 will calculate useful statistics based on the global dataset, that
12 developers as well as end users have access to, via an intuitive web
13 interface.
14
15 For the past few days, I've been working on the webUI, adding pages for stats.
16 We've also managed to get the webapp running (finally :D) on vulture[1]. Thanks
17 to my mentor antarus, robbat2, and the rest of the infra team for helping out.
18 We hit a few snags, but managed to ease them out in the end. Also, apologies for
19 making a stupid mistake of committing my mysql password to git (:P).
20
21 What works
22 ==========
23 * Submitting host stats using a client script
24
25 * Accessing host stats at /host/<uuid>
26
27 * Arch stats: /arch
28
29 * Package stats:
30 /package/<category>
31 /package/<category>/<pkgname>
33
34 An optional ?top=N can be added to the url for the no. of top items.
35
36 * Repository stats: /repo
37
38 * Keyword stats: /keyword
39
40 * Useflag stats:
41 /use
42 /use/<useflag>
43
44 * Portage FEATURES stats: /feature
45
46 * Language stats: /lang
47
48 * Mirror stats: /mirror
49
50 * Profile stats: /profile
51
52 What doesn't work (yet)
53 =======================
54 * Package search
55 * Rating of packages
56 * Graphs
57 * Bugzilla, tinderbox integration
58 * Export the stats to JSON
59
60 What needs work
61 ===============
62 * The webUI should be prettier
63 * The repository and useflag stats could be improved
64
65 I think I can finish the remaining goals in another 2-3 weeks. After that, I'll
66 consider working on some of my stretch goals.
67
68 I'm also working on improving the packages.gentoo.org api, so that there's an
69 easy way to access the portage tree state, and enrich the package stats.
70
71 Help me out by submitting your stats to the server. An ebuild for the client is
72 available in the repo[2]. Please report bugs, exceptions etc.
73
74 Got any feature suggestions/ideas ?
75
76 [0]http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/vh4x0r/26001