From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Congratulations!
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 21:15:35
1 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > Sebastian Pipping wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have triggered report re-creation, your data is now included:
5 >> http://smolt.hartwork.org:45678/static/stats/gentoo.html
6 >
7 > I notice an inconsistency. Everything is sorted by popularity, except
8 > "Archs", "Chosts", & "System profiles" - By design? It is hard to read
9 > at first glance and could get worse as more data is submitted.
10
11 By design, yes. I made an exception with these as I felt it would not
12 be right with these tables.
13
14 In general a user can seek for the answer to (at least) these two
15 different questions:
16 - What's the top 1, top 2, top 3
17 - How does item X (e.g. use flag "mp3") rank
18
19 Doing both in a static table can only be done with JavaScript magic
20 that's currently beyond my expertise.
21 As a result I had to choose between sort-by-popularity and
22 sort-alphabetically. While a user can still answer the "how does item X
23 rank" question using browser text search determining the top N from the
24 table in his head alone can be quite a hard task. So I think the
25 sort-by-popularity approach mainly "hurts less".
26
27 I'm open to suggestions on how to improve presentation of the data.
31 Sebastian