From: EBo <ebo@×××××××.com>
To: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: GSOC - Portage powered Android
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 07:20:01
1 On Feb 22 2020 5:10 PM, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > Hi EBo,
3 >
4 > EBo <ebo@×××××××.com> writes:
5 >
6 >> I'm not a current student, but a former GSOC student and later
7 >> mentor.
8 >> Am I getting this correctly, that an Android portage repository will
9 >> be set up? That would be so cool!
10 >
11 > That's the ultimate goal of Gentoo Android project. I hope we could
12 > achieve it. Thank you :)
13
14 Sweet! As a note, I was an early adopter of Gentoo back in grad school
15 (circa 11/2001), and Gentoo has been my primary distro since. About the
16 only thing I have not installed it on yet is a Raspberry Pi -- and
17 recently started working on that to support some rebuilds of several CNC
18 machines. All of that requires PREEMPT-RT or other kernels like Xenomai
19 or RTLinux. I would encourage folks to investigate the RT kernels which
20 could allow better control of some of the devices.
21
22 I already have to many projects going on offer to beta-test or help
23 review, but I definitely look forward to following the progress. That
24 said I would be very interested in seeing how folks support base
25 hardware for all the thousands of phone variants to set up device
26 configuration support out of the box. One of the things that has
27 always driven me crazy is getting a new machine initially configured --
28 figuring out all the kernel and make config options for the new hardware
29 -- even when it is an old workhorse. Is there some way to set up
30 canonical configs to switch between a Galaxy-S3, Pixel-4, iPhone-5...
31 Who knows, if you get the platform set up to bounce around easily I
32 might try to actually make a fantasy I have of building a Android
33 controlled CNC treadle lathe (complete with a steampunked LCARs
34 interface ;-)
35
36 Anyway, best of success, and I look forward to following the progress.
37
38 EBo --