From: mellos@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Progress Report - OpenPAM modules
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:56:46
1 Hello people,
2
3 I'll take the first step and try to write something as close to a
4 progress report as I can. Things have been moving quite slowly, soc-wise,
5 over here since it's the middle of my semester exams and on top of that,
6 we've had quite a lot of earthquake activity for the past few days which made
7 things even worse ( I had to move for a few days to my parent's house ).
8
9 However, since it's a progress report, I'll focus more on what I've
10 managed to get done than what I haven't. The first module which I
11 started working on was pam_unix, which is probably the most important as
12 well as the most "troublesome" since it takes care of all user
13 authentication and account management. All started well and the
14 authentication routine seemed to develop in a fast and smooth manner.
15 Soon I had it complete and did some very basic testing. All was nice...
16
17 After that, it was time to go on account management. At first, things seemed
18 quite simple since all that had to be done was to ensure that the
19 authenticating user was using a valid tty/host/uname/pass and that the
20 account was not expired. When I got down to do it, I realised that it's
21 not as simple as I've been thinking. Since the goal of the project is to
22 write modules which will be compatible with BSD as well as LINUX, I had
23 to understand how exactly BSD login classes work, how to include them in
24 the module for BSD compatibility and furthermore, whether to use the
25 information for each user from /etc/shadow or /etc/passwd on Linux.
26
27 I've done some work and I think that I got the BSD part complete but I
28 still have to check whether both shadow and passwd can provide the
29 correct info that is needed for account validation and go on with the
30 account management function of unix pam.
31
32 I believe that by the end of this week, I'll have finished pam_unix and
33 then I'll decide whether it's better to check that it's working under all
34 circumstances or leave debuging for later and go on with writing the
35 rest of the pam modules.
36
37 That's pretty much all I had to say. I'd like to hear how the rest of the
38 gentoo gsoc-ers are doing with their projects as well.
39
40 Regards,
41 Seraphim
46 gentoo-soc@l.g.o mailing list