From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] fast boot of Gentoo
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:48:40
1 On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Andrey Kislyuk <weaver@g.o> wrote:
2 > I think the current fast boot focus on the various distros is horribly
3 > misplaced. I couldn't care less whether my machines boot in 30 seconds
4 > or 2 minutes. What I _really_ care about is that when I press the
5 > button on my laptop, it wakes up from sleep in 2 seconds or less.
6 > Linux is pretty bad at this. It's generally much worse than Windows,
7 > which is in turn much worse than OS X.
8 >
9 > So, if you really wish to make a difference in an area that others
10 > haven't dealt with as much, try improving wake from sleep or hibernate
11 > performance.
12
13 Different strokes for different folks, right? I never put my laptop to
14 sleep so getting a fast boot time is important to me.
15
16 What are some of your ideas for improving wake from sleep times? It
17 would help those that have no idea where to even start on that topic
18 as it is not as intuitive as fast boot times.
19
20 -Jeremy