From: Arun Raghavan <arunissatan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: Progress on Universal Select Tool
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:47:53
1 2009/7/23 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>:
2 > 2009/7/23 Sérgio Almeida <mephx.x@×××××.com>:
3 >> A child process cannot (or shouldn't be able to) change parent's process
4 >> environment.
5 >>
6 >> uprofile will need to change env var's on-the-fly. For instance tag $PS1
7 >> with the current profile in use
10 > I don't understand what use this feature has. Won't the "current
11 > profile" be persistent across shells? If so, won't PS1 not be
12 > persistent if you change in on-the-fly? If you don't intend to keep it
13 > persistent, what's the use? (Actually, I don't see the use of having
14 > it at all)
15
16 I think the point he is making is that when you update the environment
17 variable, you want it to start reflecting in the current shell
18 immediately. Correct me if I'm wrong.
19
20 If this is the case, spawning a new shell might not be an option,
21 since you will lose the shell's history (you'll even need to do some
22 work to make sure you spawn the same shell (bash/csh/zsh) as the user
23 is currently using. And there's going to be an element of surprise if
24 multiple calls to uselect end up meaning that the user needs to use
25 Ctrl-D/logout/exit several times to end the current session.
26
27 IMO, it is cleaner to just print a message telling the user to source
28 /etc/profile as eselect does currently.
29
30 Keep up the good work.
31 --
32 Arun Raghavan
33 http://arunraghavan.net/
34 (Ford_Prefect | Gentoo) & (arunsr | GNOME)