From: Rodrigo Lazo <rlazo.paz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, Preston Cody <codeman@g.o>, Matt Disney <mdisney@×××××.com>, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] [status update] SCIRE
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:31:03
1 Finally I've finished my semester!, although technically I have to
2 take one more exam, it's due Sunday and not that hard anyway. So I can
3 *finally* dedicate to my soc project 24/7. Here is the status report
4 I've sent to the gentoo-soc mailing list:
5
6 Project description
7
8 SCIRE (Systems Configuration, Installation, and Replication
9 Enviroment) "aims to create a widely extensible common portal for
10 administrative tasks for multiple Linux client machines". The job
11 subsystem deals with the creation, preprocessing, scheduling,
12 distribution and execution of specific tasks for the client machines.
13
14 Project status
15
16 +-------------+------------+------+----------+
17 |Step |Backend-code| UI |Definition|
18 | | | | |
19 +-------------+------------+------+----------+
20 |Creation | 30% | 40% | 100% |
21 +-------------+------------+------+----------+
22 |Preprocessing| 0% | 0% | 30% |
23 +-------------+------------+------+----------+
24 |Scheduling | 100% | 100% | 100% |
25 +-------------+------------+------+----------+
26 |Distribution | 80% | - | 100% |
27 +-------------+------------+------+----------+
28 |Execution | 50% | - | 50% |
29 +-------------+------------+------+----------+
30
31 The Definition column refers to the specific way to do each step, and
32 I've learned all this time that specific things cannot be forseen so,
33 although in the proposal there is a specification, it isn't set in
34 stone until it's feasible do code it and to code it efficently.
35
36 The main focus of the project up to today was on the scheduling and
37 distribution steps. The former is finished and the latter has been
38 halted until the creation step reflects the advances on the other
39 ones. The preprocessing step will be the la it isn't essencial nor
40 blocking of the rest.
41
42 On my soc proposal I splitted the project so the backend code would be
43 written on the first half and the UI code on the other half, but my
44 mentor suggested me to do them on parallel.
45
46 I'm a little bit behind my schedule, but now I have a lot more time to
47 work on the project, so I'm confidence about finishing the project.
48
49 Timeline
50 9-15 July = Finishing updating the UI to reflect the latest changes
51 16-22 July = Finishing the distribution code
52 23-29 July = Work on the creation UI code
53 30-5 August = Finishing the Execution code
54 6-12 August = Finishing the creation code (both backend and UI)
55 13-18 August = Work on Preprocessing code.
56
57 Regards
61 Rodrigo Lazo (rlazo)
62 Google's Summer of Code Student 2007 - Gentoo Foundation
63 --
64 gentoo-soc@g.o mailing list