From: mmacleod@××××××××××.za
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] About improved binary package support
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 05:11:59
1 > > <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > > > But this is definitively not the p2p
3 > > > approach anymore which was described to me before.
4 > >
5 > > I might have to go back and reread... but p2p as a file transfer
6 > > doesn't make things insecure, torrent itself is pretty secure because
7 > > of how it hashes, the thing is you have to trust who started the
8 > > torrent. outside of torrent, like gnutella, we kinda lose security,
9 > > might as well be ftp.
10 >
11 > Here you have a central server and stuff. Before somebody told me he
12 > wants to create the following: A p2p network where all the data is
13 > stored in the network (on different peers) and not on a central server.
14 > There you get a really distributed system with lots and lots of things
15 > to think about and lots and lots of problems to address.
16 You are completely misunderstanding and incorrectly stating what I said by the
17 way.
18 I clearly stated in my thread that there would be a central server controlling
19 the network, this server would obviously be used for things like hashes as
20 well.
21 To have the entire thing completely distributed with no central control would
22 be absolutely stupid.
23
24 If you want people to look at what "somebody" told you please point them to
25 the original thread on the mailing list to interpret it for themselves instead
26 of telling them stuff which is not true, thanks.