From: Rafael Martins <rafael@×××××××××××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o, Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Distfile patching support - Final Report
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 05:59:23
1 Hi all,
2
3 Quick summary: Improve the performance of the Gentoo Linux mirrors by
4 reducing the overall bandwidth load, allowing people to fetch binary
5 patches from the mirrors, instead of the full source tarballs, when
6 updating some package. This project is partially based on GLEP 25.
7
8 I'm done with the tasks proposed to this project.
9
10 A portage patch to add support for this is in the gentoo-portage-dev
11 mailing list and was already changed twice. This feature will be
12 present in a next Portage release, probably. The patch comes with some
13 changes to the man pages, in order to document the usage of the
14 feature. This implementation is almost transparent to the end users,
15 then they just need to know about how to setup the configuration
16 variable properly, and they are done.
17
18 The patcher tools are working fine. I have more than 18k deltas cutted
19 in vulture at this point. This number will increase a lot when we get
20 deltas for the full tree. I'm not doing heavy tests for now because
21 vulture is having some issues and rebooting a bit often due to unknown
22 reason.
23
24 This project also contributed a patch to diffball, adding XZ support
25 to it. The patch is merged upstream and released in diffball-1.0.1. I
26 also got commit access to the git repo of the project. Thanks
27 ferringb!
28
29 The set of tools created for this project (app-portage/distpatch) are
30 in the version 0.1.1 and available on gentoo tree (gentoo-x86).
31
32 I also tried to create a video, demonstrating the usage of this
33 feature. This was my first screencast and have some problems, but it
34 does his work.
35
36 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODKaSEIB7GE
37
38 I'm not announcing this on @-dev or @-user yet because, as planned on
39 the proposal, this project isn't done by the end of gsoc. I'll still
40 have to work with Robin and the infra team to get this thing deployed
41 to the end users, and the patch isn't merged in portage yet. The
42 announcement will comes as soon as possible.
43
44 Project page: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/distpatch/
45
46 That said, I'd like to thanks some people:
47
48 - robbat2: my mentor.
49 - Calchan: my co-mentor and creator of the idea of do this as a gsoc project.
50 - ferringb: all my work is based or rely on work previously done by
51 him. The success of this project is your too!
52 - dberkholz: our gsoc admin. always around to help.
53 - carols: the google gsoc admin, for gsoc in general and for all the
54 fun I had at FISL :)
55
56 I hope you all had a great winter/summer! :D
57
58 Best regards,
61 Rafael Goncalves Martins
62 http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/