From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GLEP 25 + GLEP 9
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:41:15
1 mmacleod@××××××××××.za wrote:
2 >> I just re-read the GLEPs. The first thing that comes to my mind is: Is
3 >> there still a big use case for smaller downloads with the advance of
4 >> broadband internet? However, I accept that not everyone has alot of
5 >> bandwidth available to them and ignore my initial reaction ;)
6 > I would just like to comment on possible motivations for this as well.
7 >
8 > Some parts of the world have very low threshold for what they consider broad
9 > band, where I am from(South Africa) I have an ADSL line that is crippled to
10 > 384k and am only allowed to do 3 gigabytes of traffic(combined
11 > upload/download) a month, after which my connection is completely cut off even
12 > for local browsing.
13 > It is possible to buy more bandwidth and a faster line but the pricing is
14 > really prohibitive.
15 > At these speeds the downloads do not take an insignificant time especially for
16 > a large package like open office(+-400mb)[1], it is not uncommon for me to
17 > have to delay updating packages to a new month in order to save money.
18 > Sadly when it comes to Internet I am better off then many, it is not uncommon
19 > for people to use the internet through 56k/ISDN/GPRS here, I can only imagine
20 > there are other countries where this might be even worse.
21 >
22 <snip other good points>
23
24 I like it.