From: wiktor w brodlo <wiktor@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo Anaconda progress report: 2011-06-26
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 00:02:59
1 Hi Gentooers!
2
3 *Intro*
4
5 Gentoo Anaconda is a fork of Sabayon Anaconda which is a fork of
6 Fedora/Red Hat Anaconda. Anaconda is an installer for Linux disros,
7 originally for Fedora/RH but now it's distro-independent and many
8 other distros use it as their installer. Sabayon is a binary distro
9 based on Gentoo.
10
11 *Progress so far*
12
13 The most important thing that happened this week was that I've managed
14 to prepare Anaconda's internal environment for Portage. On the
15 installation screen I have replaced the screenshots with a vte
16 terminal in which any emerges to be done will be run. This is to help
17 the user get familiar with emerge's output as well as allows the user
18 to follow what's happening. The Entropy class and dependency has been
19 replaced with a Portage class which simply interfaces with emerge.
20 I have also managed to finalise branding, so that nothing in the
21 installer says “Sabayon”.
22
23 In the coming week I have to troubleshoot some problems that have
24 arisen due to the removal of Entropy. This shouldn't take too long as
25 on the higher level nothing has changed, only the backends. The next
26 thing for this week is adding more screens to the installer and
27 rearranging the screens so that they follow the order given in the
28 Handbook. I will also want to edit the screens so they refer to
29 specific pages of the handbook so the user may read up on them if they
30 wish (though that's probably going to be left until the second term as
31 it's not essential). If time allows, I will start coding the new
32 actions, otherwise I'll start that next week.
33
34 Yes, I still believe I can implement my proposal on time ;-)
35
36 Cheers,
37 ~ wiktor.