From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] GSoC2013 suggestion - Fix archives.g.o
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 08:31:41
1 On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > Nobody has a copy of the file beforehand :-(. It had a patch on it to
3 > fix a previous crash, but said patch seems to have been lost.
6 Hopefully something has changed so that this sort of thing doesn't happen again?
7
8 We had a situation like this happen at work - we actually had to pay
9 to have something re-developed from requirements because nobody
10 bothered to check in the source code. As an added bonus it was legacy
11 code that nobody even used any longer, but which needed to be present
12 so that old data in the system could still be retrieved. Calculate
13 the ROI on that...
14
15 Just another reason developers shouldn't have access to production
16 systems. I'd hope that most would think twice before writing an
17 install script that says "Step 4 - get Joe to email you the file...."
18 :)
19
20 Rich