From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Looking for a mentor for a Portage SOC Project
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 02:20:40
1 On 03/30/2011 01:22 PM, Colleen Josephson wrote:
2 > -Integrate eix into Portage as a replacement to search
3
4 Due to poor performance of emerge --search, this is a recurring theme.
5 For the record, my recommendation is to extend egencache with an option
6 to concatenate all of the entries from metadata/cache/ into a single
7 file that can be quickly searched by tools like eix and emerge --search
8 (among many others). Having all the metadata cached in a single file
9 makes for fast searching because it minimizes disk seeks. If we enable
10 generation of this type of single-file-metadata-cache on the master
11 rsync mirror, then tools like eix and emerge --search can use that
12 directly instead of needing to generate a separate cache after each sync.
13 --
14 Thanks,
15 Zac