From: heroxbd@×××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: openrc@g.o, rleigh@××××××.org, aron@××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-soc] report 7.24-8.7: improving OpenRC
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 06:05:44
1 Dear Guys and Gals,
2
3 heroxbd@×××××.com writes:
4
5 > After the mid term evaluation, this project shifts its emphasis from
6 > Prefix support to improving OpenRC (borrowing ideas from brother
7 > systems)
10 During the last two weeks, the following are finished:
11
12 > 1. use OpenRC to boot a Debian system
13
14 DONE
15
16 > 2. find a way for OpenRC to use debian LSB init-scripts
17 > OR, find a way to convert LSB init-scripts to OpenRC scripts
18
19 DONE, it is the "lsb.pl" script.
20
21 The process is documented at http://wiki.debian.org/OpenRC
22
23 > 3. Patch OpenRC build system to respect EPREFIX (yes, take this by myself)
24
25 I reviewed my old patch at bug 415899, and it seems to be able to
26 serve as a base for the prefix integration.
27
28 bonus:
29
30 ccxCZ from #openrc made a GLEP draft
31
32 http://wpr.cz/ccx/wobsite/article/openrc-supervisor.html
33
34 The interesting point to me is to make openrc running closely
35 with daemontools and runit for extended features.
36
37 In this project proposal, modern extensions (a timer, a oom-killer, a
38 daemon watcher) were discussed. To make openrc friendly talk to other
39 tools (cron, incron, runit, etc.) to achieve these extensions are
40 closest to my heart.
41
42 > the following tasks are natural consequences and not scheduled:
43 >
44 > a. find a way for debian rc system to use OpenRC scripts
45 > OR, find a way to convert OpenRC scripts to LSB init-scripts
46
47 waiting list
48
49 > b. bump OpenRC and push it into Gentoo Prefix tree
50
51 waiting list
52
53 Regarding the schedule restriction, I will report on a daily basis for
54 the next week.
55
56 tomorrow, I will,
57
58 1. finish the documentation on http://wiki.debian.org/OpenRC
59 1b. consult rleigh@debian and aron@debian for how to do the things
60 in the wiki page with deb helper scripts when packaging.
61 2. ping Prefix team for the official adoption of openrc-prefix.
62
63 Regards,
64 Benda