From: Andrey Falko <afalko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Fwd: Status Report
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 02:15:10
1 Forwarding upon the request of Grant.
2
3 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
4 From: Andrey Falko <afalko@×××××.com>
5 Date: Jun 27, 2007 1:24 AM
6 Subject: Info. and Milestone
7 To: spb@g.o, Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
10 Hi Christel and Stephen,
11
12 This is just an fyi and pseudo progress report. It turned out to be a
13 lot longer than I anticipated, so don't feel obligated to read all or
14 much of it. It was more of an exercise on my part to get re-focused.
15
16 I have been coding the interface and backend, but have diverted
17 somewhat from the orginal schedule:
18
19 Before:
20 May 14 - 25: Draw up of initial design with minimal set of features +
21 preliminary implementation the design, including basic backend.
22 May 28 - June 8: Create test plan and test the interface on friends
23 and willing people on the forums.
24 June 11 - June 29: Modify interface in response to feedback and
25 solidify the code.
26 July 2 - July 6: Do a final usability test on the interface and make
27 modifications.
28 July 9 - July 27: Add features that are were not added yet, and
29 possibly open the interface up to Gentoo community (perhaps this is
30 the time when I will think hard about how best to open it up to the
31 community)
32 August 6 onward: Maintain and moderate the interface application. If
33 time permits, create a command-line interface or GUI interface.
34
35 Now:
36 May 14 - June 26: Created backend and web interface using one database
37 system. Tested interface on a friend and had a lot of work to do after
38 that. Brewed up a horde of features I though it should have and
39 implemented all of them except "advanced search".
40
41 Work that remains to be done:
42 1) Evaluate the usability of the interface. Fix the usability problems.
43 2) Make the thing installable (i.e. creating an ebuld, makefiles, etc.).
44 3) Make the interface look nice.
45 4) Getting it working on mysql again (I started using sqlite because
46 my mysql broke :().
47 5) Getting it publicized / on the Gentoo web space somewhere. Includes
48 guiding it initially and moderating it.
49
50 Optional work that remains to be done:
51 6) Removing some dependencies such as Untaint and Taint modules. Which
52 means that I will have to create an untainting system for the
53 interface.
54 7) Getting it working on postgresql database and other databases
55 (choice is always good).
56 8) Creating command-line client and extending the daemon to support it.
57
58 Here is a revised time line:
59 June 26 - June 29: Write usability test and post it on the forums and
60 direct irc people to check out the post.
61 June 30 - July 28: Collect feedback from usability test and make
62 appropriate changes. This will hopefully give me some insight into how
63 to make the interface aesthetically pleasing.
64 July 29 - August 4: Make it installable, which means release a beta
65 version or something like it. Test its "installable-ness".
66 August 5 - September 3: Get cranking on figuring out how the interface
67 will work on Gentoo web space (first, ask if the interface + backend
68 is worthy of becoming a part of Gentoo). If necessary, get it working
69 with mysql again or what ever database the Gentoo web space likes.
70
71 The revised time line will change depending on how much feedback in receive.
74 Here is a list of links and stuff for your (and my) convenience:
75
76 https://afalko.homelinux.net (News about any "releases" or major
77 milestones of the project.)
78 https://afalko.homelinux.net/tskdemo (The web interface in its latest form.)
79 https://afalko.homelinux.net/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=Tsk&content=
80 (The listing of open bugs and work stuff that I am working on for the
81 project.)
82 https://afalko.homelinux.net/svn/viewvc.cgi/ (View the code via the web.)
83
84 SVN checkout commands: