From: wiktor w brodlo <wiktor@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo Anaconda Weekly Report: 2011-08-12
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:17:55
1 Hey Gentooers,
4 *Intro*
5
6 Gentoo Anaconda is a fork of Sabayon Anaconda which is a fork of
7 Fedora/Red Hat Anaconda. Anaconda is an installer for Linux disros,
8 originally for Fedora/RH but now it's distro-independent and many
9 other distros use it as their installer. Sabayon is a binary distro
10 based on Gentoo.
11
12 * Progress so far *
13
14 The installer is more or less done, it can install Gentoo that boots
15 and is actually usable ;-).
16 The biggest accomplishment this week was to finally make the mirror
17 selection tree view working, as well as making sure the installer only
18 uses the newest components, as it syncs the Portage tree in the new
19 install before emerging any packages, and it downloads a fresh stage3
20 tarball from a Gentoo mirror. I have also managed to slim down the new
21 system a bit as it now does not emerge the useless Fedora
22 configuration tools.
23
24 * Coming up next *
25
26 Tomorrow, I will cook the new LiveDVD 11.2 with Anaconda (once it
27 finishes downloading), do the final pre-release testing and I'll post
28 it here and on gentoo-dev.
29 Later on, I will continue writing the documentation and slimming down
30 the code, as there's still a lot of useless cruft laying around (dead
31 codepaths and such). I will try to get rid of as much unneeded code as
32 possible, in order to use less space on the LiveDVD, making everybody
33 happier.
34
35 Cheerio!
36 ~ wiktor.