From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [GSOC 2016] Stage4 Console Configurator
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 22:54:52
1 On 4/2/16 6:50 PM, Roman Prykhodko wrote:
2 > Hi, there
3 >
4 > Let me introduce myself. My name is Roman Prykhodko. I am from Chernihiv,
5 > Ukraine. I am a student of Chernihiv National University of Technology. I
6 > have applied for Gentoo Stage4 Console Configurator in GSOC 2016. I have
7 > been using Linux for a long time and for the last 2 years I have been using
8 > Gentoo. I have chosen Gentoo not only for its speed or tools but also due
9 > to its philosophy. It is high time to create a good tool for my favorite
10 > distributive. The aim of my application is to create a tool for Gentoo
11 > Foundation making/configuring stage4 archive from basic stage3 archive. It
12 > can be used not only for faster deployment/installation but also to restore
13 > the system after crash. I suppose this project will be just the first step
14 > in my cooperation with Gentoo Foundation.
15 >
16 > Stage4 is an image of rootfs. Difference between stage3 archive and stage4
17 > archive is in context. Stage4 not only includes image of rootfs, but also
18 > includes itself user congurations like edited make.conf(USE-flags,
19 > compilator properties, etc), software that user installs or want to be
20 > installed, kernel and bootloader. Its going to by useful for users that are
21 > boring of doing same job few times in a row. So step by step I will create
22 > a tool under my mentor's careful sight. In the end of the project we will
23 > have a tool with ncurses user interface, ready to edit your rootfs
24 > buildroot without any difference which architecture do user uses, scripts
25 > on python to solve small problems like package dependencies, script to
26 > build list of packages that can downloaded or took from the system and the
27 > script for auto deploy.
30 > My proposal:
31 >
32 > https://docs.google.com/document/d/12zCnZKHa_ZEkg8vtlc2eJLySYCeFT_iESUzeE7JTLQY/edit?usp=sharing
35 Please take a look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng_GRS
38 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
39 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
40 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
41 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
42 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA