From: Vikraman <vikraman.choudhury@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: antarus@g.o, chris@××××××××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Package statistics, final report
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:45:47
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 This is the final report for the `Package statistics` project.
4
5 Homepage : https://soc.dev.gentoo.org/gentoostats/
6 Repository : http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gentoostats.git
7
8 Summary
9 -------
10 The goal of this project is to implement a client-server architecture
11 for reporting and querying package statistics of Gentoo based machines.
12 The client program will be used to collect package statistics from
13 Gentoo installations and submit them to a central server. The server
14 will calculate useful statistics based on the global dataset, that
15 developers as well as end users have access to, via an intuitive web
16 interface.
17
18 Detailed summary
19 ----------------
20 The gentoostats project consists mainly of three components:
21
22 * https://soc.dev.gentoo.org/gentoostats/ : The webapp which collects data
23 submitted by clients and renders the required stats.
24
25 * gentoostats-send : The script which reads portage and package data and submits
26 them to the server.
27
28 * gentoostats-cli : The script which talks to the gentoostats webapp via a
29 RESTful api, and reads and displays stats.
30
31 As of the `pencils down` date, all of the above components are working, and
32 quite a lot of stats are rendered successfully. Of course, I have dropped some
33 features from my original proposal, but also added some.
34
35 Besides this, I also wrote some patches to packages.gentoo.org, though they
36 haven't been merged yet.
37
38 Future plans
39 ------------
40 I am looking forward to continue working on and improving this project. Besides,
41 I would very much like to join the community as a gentoo dev.
42
43 Some possible future goals are :
44
45 * The webUI is fugly at this point, mostly because I suck at web designing. It
46 could be improved a lot, using the underlying json api.
47
48 * Portage gui apps could be patched to use stats from the webapp.
49
50 * A popular request for stats is adding "installed files" to the stats. This
51 requires an ingenious solution since the dataset is huge.
52
53 Thanks
54 ------
55 Out of the top of my head, I would like to thank antarus, dberkholz, robbat2,
56 the infra team, #gentoo-portage, #gentoo-dev-help, #gentoo-soc, without whom
57 this SoC wouldn't have been a success.
60 Vikraman