From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Improved binary package support
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 04:41:15
1 On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:52:38 +0200
3 > mmacleod@××××××××××.za wrote:
4 >
5 >> A p2p network of willing Gentoo users could be created where packages
6 >> compiled by people are shared, users could select to participate in
7 >> various different forms(or combinations of these forms) by default
8 >> only (1) would be used: 1/ Use packages from p2p network only.
9 >> 2/ Donate packages created by us and not already on network to
10 >> network. Or Hash signatures in cases where package is already on
11 >> network. 3/ Donate bandwidth/harddrive space and act as a "mirror" on
12 >> the network, packages would be distributed between mirrors so that
13 >> maximum redundancy exists on all packages.
14 >> 4/ Donate idle CPU time to act as a compile server, and compile
15 >> packages combinations that are not yet on the network. Using an
16 >> algorithm to cover more frequent cflag combinations first.
17 >
18 >> There obviously might be security concerns for users of such a
19 >> system, this can be mitigated by using a central controlling server
20 >> and by taking Hash signatures of compiled packages from users other
21 >> then the original contributer. Different levels of trust can then be
22 >> established for each package based on how many cross verifications of
23 >> the Hash signature have been made. Users can then choose a level of
24 >> trust and only use packages that meet this requirement.
25 >> Users who still consider this to large a risk can simply not enable
26 >> the p2p binary support at all and continue to compile everything
27 >> obviously.
28 >
29 > I'm not sure, if this is the right way to go. I'd prefer some kind of
30 > build server with better configuration and management than exists at
31 > the moment. I'm not sure, if the p2p network is trustworthy enough,
32 > even with your hash stuff. What if a user creates a package with some
33 > backdoor in it? How would you notice that?
34 >
35 >> A fairly large part of this idea is reliant on improving portages
36 >> binary package support as stated in the idea on the wiki. Storing
37 >> packages based on build state and use flags etc.. so all of this
38 >> would also be done as part of the project. Therefore my proposal is
39 >> basically to implement everything in the "improved binary package
40 >> support" idea(Except the kernel part) and then to implement the rest
41 >> of the system after that.
42 >
43 > Not sure, if this was already discussed: Usually, software has
44 > versions. Gentoo adds revisions (these -rX endings) to have different
45 > ebuild versions for the same software version. Now, for binary packages
46 > we would need another revision-like addition (because there can be
47 > pkg-foo-1.2.3 linked against lib-bar:1 and linked against lib-bar:2).
48 > If I were the buildserver, I would build the new libbar once it is in
49 > the tree and then use revdep-rebuild and emerge @preserved-rebuild to
50 > figure out, what needs to be rebuilt. Then I would rebuild those
51 > packages and increase the, let's call it binary-revision. I'd repeat
52 > that until all was fine (which should be the case after 1 iteration,
53 > most of the time).
54 >
55 > Then, if you upgrade a binary host, you would upgrade all packages with
56 > greater version or binary revision to get the binary built against the
57 > new lib.
58 >
59 > Another thing: Smaller installations. Maybe you could work on moving
60 > more software out of @system, that for example gcc does not need to be
61 > installed on binary-only hosts. Maybe you could create some
62 > INSTALL_MASK files that would make the system smaller leaving out
63 > headers, maybe static libraries and stuff like that. What would you
64 > think about that one?
65
66 I think "binary only profile" ?
69 > Philipp