From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: Nicu Badescu <badescunicu@×××××.com>
Cc: "gentoo-soc@l.g.o" <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: GSoC Student
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 00:18:40
1 On Sat, 2013-04-13 at 23:06 +0300, Nicu Badescu wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > My name is Nicu, I study Computer Science in Bucharest, Romania.
5 > I came across the "Catalyst" project which is under your coordination,
6 > and I wanted to ask you some questions about the required skills.
7 >
8 > What would be the levels of knowledge for Python and Bash? Is this
9 > a suitable project for a beginner? If so, I'm eager to get started on it.
10 >
11 > Thanks!
12
13 No, I don't think it is suitable for a beginner. Part of the problem
14 with the existing code is that it has been hacked on over the years by
15 several developers with less than ideal python skills. It is in need of
16 at least moderate python skills (preferably better) to streamline,
17 optimize and improve the code for fewer bugs, better readability, and
18 easier maintenance.
19
20 Bash skill level should be decent as well (something I DON'T
21 have :( I'll have to rely on others for that).
22
23 The student should also be familiar with using gentoo, how it installs
24 packages, and resolving installation problems. Gentoo's package manager
25 is central to catalyst's operation.
26 --
27 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>