From: Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Welcome GSoC Students!
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:04:13
Welcome to Gentoo's edition of the Google Summer of Code, and
congratulations on your selection! To get you started, here's some
general information. This email should be followed by another email
from your mentor giving you more specific details. This year, you'll
be working on 1 of 6 projects:

Using Gentoo, Seed Linux and Catalyst to provide easy access to a
Beowulf Clustering/HPC environment to everyday users
	by Eric Thibodeau
	mentored by Donnie Berkholz (dberkholz@g.o)
Eric and Donnie are going to be working on making the process of
creating and maintaining Beowulf clustering solutions based on Gentoo
easier for end-users and system administrators. This will ultimately
help in building machines for applications such as high performance
and scientific computing.

Automate it All
	by Nirbheek Chauhan
	mentored by Stephen Anthony Klimaszewski (steev@g.o)
Nirbheek is going to create a new web application that would enable
Gentoo developers to utilize remote machines for queuing "jobs", where
"jobs" are simply a sequence of steps that can be defined by the
developers. The results will then be sent back to them when they are
completed. Some of the use cases for such a system are: checking for
breakage on new versions of a package, verifying dependencies of a
package and arch testing.

Implement OpenPAM compatible modules for Linux
	by Serafeim Mellos
	mentored by Diego Pettenò (flameeyes@g.o)
Serafeim is going to write a set of PAM modules (specifically
pam_unix, pam_securetty, pam_shells, pam_wheel, pam_nologin and
others, if time permits) using the OpenPAM library. This would enable
users to choose between OpenPAM and the existing Linux-PAM
implementations and offer greater flexibility, in the true spirit of
Gentoo.

GNAP Love (embedded framework enhancements)
	by Vít Vomáčko
	mentored by Andrey Falko (andrey@××××××.net)
Vit is going to be improving the general state of Gentoo/GNAP this
summer. Some of the tasks he hopes to complete are: supporting more
platforms, make it easier for developers to write extensions, unionfs
and live upgrade support, catalyst related bug fixes and changes,
among others.

Setting Beacon Afloat
	by Nandeep Mali
	mentored by Anant Narayanan (anant@g.o)
Nandeep is going to revisit the GuideXML editor "Beacon", and add a
bunch of features such as collaborative editing, UI spruce-ups, easier
deployment and rewrites of certain parts of the backend. His ultimate
goal is to make Beacon a really competitive alternative for developers
and users to write and collaborate on GuideXML documents.

revdep-rebuild reimplementation
	by Carl Lucian Poston
	mentored by Marius Mauch (genone@g.o)
Carl is going to be re-implementing the revdep-rebuild utility. He's
planing on using the set framework and linkage information in
portage-2.2 to improve on revdep-rebuild's current behavior. At the
end of the project, the tool will model a system's dependencies as a
dependency graph and resolve all dynamic linker errors by repairing
broken libraries and packages.

Communicating
	The community bonding period begins now and the purpose is to
familiarize you with our general community practices. It is *very
important* that you are in constant touch with your mentor throughout
the duration of the program. There are several channels of
communication that Gentoo developers use, and we'll go through the
most important of them:

	- Mailing Lists: gentoo-dev is the list where technical discussions
related to Gentoo not suited for more specific lists takes place. We
highly recommend you subscribe to this list and lurk for a while to
get a feel of what kind of questions are asked on it. We would also
like you to subscribe to the gentoo-soc mailing list in order to
receive important announcements related to the program. In addition to
these two lists, your mentor might also want you to subscribe to
another list, depending on your project. A complete listing of all our
mailing lists, along with information on how you can subscribe to them
is available on: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml

	The primary language of communication on most of our lists is
English, but a lot of us are not native English speakers, so don't be
ashamed of writing 'bad english'. It is usually sufficient if you are
able to communicate your idea and everyone understands what you are
trying to say. Also, don't be afraid of asking 'stupid questions', a
lot of you are new to the world of open source software, and we are
aware of that. We're here to help.

	When starting a new thread on a mailing list, send a new email to the
list - don't reply to an existing thread. Also, you are expected to
send plain text email, no HTML! Learn how to quote relevant portions
when replying to a thread. This web page might help: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

	- IRC: A lot of Gentoo developers hang out in several channels on the
Freenode IRC channel. IRC is generally used for real-time
conversations and is very useful when you want a quick reply. The
starting point for you should be the #gentoo-soc channel; your mentor
will tell you which other channels you are recommended to join. If you
are new to IRC, this might help:http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/irctutorial.html

	We would like to point out that IRC is a highly informal environment,
and we don't recommend you make important decisions there; unless
you've scheduled a meeting with your mentor to discuss them. Even if
you do, we recommend you archive that decision by other means (a post
to a list, blog post) since most IRC channels are not logged. Also,
some developers don't use IRC at all but they may have something
valuable to say.

	- Bugzilla: Gentoo maintains a bug database on: http://
bugs.gentoo.org/. We recommend you sign up for an account there.
Depending on your project, your mentor may expect you to file bugs and
follow them. Whenever your project involves changes to code maintained
by existing Gentoo developers, you will usually have to file a bug and
follow it up. Your mentor will tell you whether or not you will be
using Bugzilla, and if yes, to what extent.

	- Blogs: A lot of developers use blogs to communicate with the
community at large. We recommend you read posts on Planet Gentoo (http://planet.gentoo.org/
) and add the feed to your reader. We also highly recommend that you
get a blog for yourself (if you already don't have one), and use it to
write anything relevant to your project under a category such as
'soc08' or 'gentoo'. We will be aggregating your blogs on our Planet
for the entire Gentoo community to read.

Code Management
	- Gentoo uses a mix of CVS, SVN and Git internally. We recommend you
use an external code hosting service to help manage your code. Some of
the popular ones are: http://code.google.com/hosting/(SVN), http://sourceforge.net/
  (CVS/SVN) and http://repo.or.cz/ (Git). One of the explicit aims of
the Community Bonding period is to get you upto speed with the version
control system you will be working with. Please contact your mentor
for help *before* signing up with a particular service. In some cases,
you may be expected to work on an existing repository - again -
contact your mentor for specifics.

Progress Reports
	- We will be expecting weekly progress reports from each of you at
the very least. Feel free to report more often! Your mentor will tell
you his preferred method of communication, but you must also post your
weekly progress reports to the gentoo-soc mailing list, as well as on
your blog for all to see. Make sure that you inform your mentor well
in advance if you plan to be missing for a week or more (vacation,
exams etc.) We understand that you have a student life to attend to in
parallel, but if you are missing for more than a week without reason,
we will be forced to disqualify you from the program.

Questions
	- Your mentor is the primary contact for any questions pertaining to
the program, technical or not. However, it is possible that a mentor
may be unreachable for sometime due to personal reasons or otherwise.
It is *extremely* important that you immediately notify our
organization administrators in the event that your mentor is
unavailable for more than 3 days. The administrator will immediately
look into the issue and assign a new mentor, if required. Since all of
us are from various cultures around the world, it is also possible
that you and your mentor may not "get along" very well. Please do
contact our organization administrators to discuss any such issues:

	Alec Warner: antarus@g.o
	Grant Goodyear: g2boojum@g.o
	Joshua Jackson: tsunam@g.o

We're looking forward to a great summer with all of you, and hope that
all 6 projects are successful. Please don't hesitate to use any of the
mentioned communication channels if you have a question or doubt.

All the best!
--
The GSoC Mentors and Admins for Gentoo
Summer of Code 2008--