From: "Amadeusz Żołnowski" <aidecoe@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Port the new distro-neutral initrd framework, Dracut, to Gentoo
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 21:27:19
1 Hello,
2
3 I'd like to work on Dracut port to Gentoo.
4
5 I've got a bit experience with initramfs. Have root in encrypted LVM
6 PV. Standard genkernel initramfs' init needed a bit of modification for
7 that. Later I wrote my own with support for uswsusp plus custom
8 configuration of BusyBox. I've got a bit fun with that therefore Dracut
9 idea attracted my attention.
10
11 I've looked a bit in the latest Dracut sources. Basic image builds well,
12 but there're are problems with tests. Paths needs fixes for Gentoo, but
13 instead of a fork better would be to create separate config which would
14 give ease to customize Dracut for other distros. Just for example,
15 script for uswsusp assumes that resume is in /usr/sbin/ since in Gentoo
16 it's in /usr/lib/suspend/. Unfortunately path is hardcoded there.
17
18 When Dracut is fully brought to life with Gentoo, next steps would be
19 create ebuild and finally integrate with genkernel. After that
20 time comes for new features. I'll be happy to provide even
21 sophisticated support for combinations with LVM and LUKS or Loop-AES,
22 alternatives for uswsusp, and any other suggestions.
23
24 That's my view on the subject in the short. Is it correct?
27 Amadeusz Żołnowski (aidecoe)
30 PGP key: 1024D/C284750D