From: christo kotsi <christo.kotsi@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] A Stateless Environment
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 08:13:48
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 My name is Christos and I am a student, currently studying Materials
4 Science at University of Crete in Greece. This year, I am happy to be a
5 participant at GSOC-2017 with Gentoo as my chosen organization. The
6 reason of me participating, is because, for the last two years, among
7 the things that intrigue me the most, operating systems (more specific
8 Linux), have been on the top of that list.
9
10 Atom Gentoo, is the Idea which instantly caught my attention, and made
11 me decide to propose over, since I have always been interested to
12 further expand my knowledge on how Linux works, and more general, on the
13 fundamentals of operating systems.
14
15 The content of my proposal is about configuring a minimal Gentoo image,
16 that can mount and function properly with a read-only root filesystem.
17 The image will hold information about how to: a) update or even
18 completely replace itself over the network, b) automatically change
19 bootflag to an alternative healthy partition in case the primary root
20 filesystem is lost. Additionally to the minimal Gentoo image, a server
21 framework will be configured, which will build and deploy the images to
22 the clients above, while at the same time, will provide services for
23 diskless nodes.
24
25 The goal is to create a fast, reliable and easy to deploy system, which
26 will function independently, while configuration files and user data
27 will be bind mounted over other local media or even over the network
28 (cloud).
29
30 I look forward to share more thoughts and ideas with you.
31
32 Best regards,
33
34 Christos