From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] General SOC Proposals
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 02:15:09
1 On 21:56 Sun 27 Mar , Colleen Josephson wrote:
2 > About how long should a good proposal be?
3
4 Somewhere in the range of 1500–4000 words is pretty reasonable.
5 Basically, write enough to convince us that you've done sufficient
6 research to understand and design your project, you have a plan to
7 complete it, you're qualified to do the work, and you're enthusiastic
8 about it. But don't write so much that we get tired of reading it. =)
9
10 Bonus points for addressing things like long-term maintenance,
11 documentation, test suites, and development methodology.
12
13 The student guide's section on proposal writing [1] is worth reading,
14 although our requirements on sections vary somewhat from them [2].
15
16 > Are there any examples of past Gentoo SOC proposals (preferably successful
17 > ones) so to get an idea of what good proposals look like?
18
19 I know somebody's blogged one, but I couldn't find it with a quick
20 search.
23 1. http://www.booki.cc/gsocstudentguide/_v/1.0/writing-a-proposal/
24 2. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/soc/applying.xml
27 Thanks,