From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Application for Google Summer of Code 2018 - Mishal Roy.
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 06:14:24
1 Hi Mishal,
2
3 Overall, I wish you could be more ambitious on what you will achieve in
4 3 months. The present scope of 1 kernel ebuild is too limited.
5
6 The manuscript structure is well organized. Below are some minor
7 comments.
8
9 Mishal Roy <roymishal210@×××××.com> writes:
10
11 > I have drafted a proposal for Google Summer of Code 2018 and attached
12 > it in the form of PDF.
13 >
14 > Please go through it and give me necessary feedback.
15
16 > Android Kernel Update using Gentoo on Android.
17
18 > Overview :
19
20 > The computing power of Android devices have started rivaling laptops
21 > and desktop computers. Hence compile time and build time on Android
22 > devices have improved.
23
24 > Gentoo Prefix on Android devices will bring easy kernel updates.
25
26 > This project aims at updating kernel on an Android device by compiling
27 > and installing it with the help of Gentoo Prefix.
28
29 > Objective :
30
31 > This project will eliminate the need of a secondary device like
32 > computer for compiling Android kernels.
33
34 > User without having kernel building experience can easily get the
35 > kernel of his Android device built and installed by running an ebuild
36 > script.
37
38 > Deliverables :
39
40 > 2018.02.25 64 bit tarball from [1] will be used . Android Device to
41 > be used in the project is Xiaomi Redmi Note 4.
42
43 > In this project an ebuild script will be developed which will do the
44 > following
45
46 > Download kernel source code of the device from [2], boot image
47 > pack/unpack tools from [3] and boot image from [4].
48
49 > Compile Kernel and its modules.
50
51 > Unpack the boot image using code from [3] and install kernel modules
52 > into ramdisk.
53
54 > Create a boot image[3] with the recently compiled kernel and edited
55 > ramdisk. Install the boot image by writing it to
56 > /dev/block/mmcblk0p21.
57
58 > Timeline :
59
60 > Before Phase 1 Evaluation Deadline kernel source code will be
61 > downloaded and compiled using GCC Compiler of Gentoo Android
62 > Prefix. Built kernel will be tested on the Android device. Thereafter
63 > an ebuild will be written that downloads kernel source code , tools
64 > and boot image
65
66 Are you going to download the Xiaomi boot images by the ebuild?
67
68 > as well as compiles kernel and its modules.
69
70 > Before Phase 2 Evaluation Deadline ebuild script will be extended by
71 > adding code to unpack boot image, install kernel modules into the
72 > ramdisk and create a new boot image with recently compiled kernel and
73 > edited ramdisk.
74
75 I wish we could eliminate the concept of boot image for daily use of
76 Android, just as normal computers.
77
78 > efore Phase 3 Evaluation Deadline a backup of the boot image present
79 > in /dev/block/mmcblk0p21 will be created. The ebuild will be competed
80 > by adding final code to install the new boot image. Finally, the
81 > ebuild will be executed.
82
83 > Resources :
84 > 1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android/tarball
85 > 2.https://github.com/MiCode/Xiaomi_Kernel_OpenSource/tree/mido-m-oss
86 > 3.https://github.com/osm0sis/mkbootimg
87 > 4.https://androidfilebox.com/app/stock-miui-recovery-image-for-redmi-note-4-snapdragon/
88
89 > About Me :
90
91 > I am Mishal Roy, a third year Electronics and Telecommunication
92 > engineering student of Atharva College of Engineering ,Mumbai ,
93 > India. I have keen interest in Operating Systems. I am familiar with
94 > Opearating Systems like Ubuntu, Gentoo and Android.
95
96 Please specify to what extent you are familiar with Ubuntu, Gentoo and
97 Android.
98
99 For example, how many years have you been using it? Where did you
100 install Ubuntu and Gentoo? What do you use them for? Have you made any
101 contribution to the community? Do you have links to your previous
102 Android ROM development projects?
103
104 > I am well versed in programming languages like C, C++, Java, x86
105 > Assembly and Bash.
106
107 Nice. Do you have code snippets publicly available?
108
109 > I am very focused, organised and love to take challenges.
110
111 Cheers,
112 Benda