From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: Praful Johari <praful.johari@×××××.com>
Cc: "gentoo-soc@l.g.o" <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: GSoC Gentoo potential candidate
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:05:25
1 On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 10:23 +0530, Praful Johari wrote:
2 > Sir,
3 >
4 > I, Praful Johari, am a sophomore student at Indian Institute of
5 > Technology, Guwahati . I am writing this mail to ask for your guidance
6 > regarding the project idea posted at Gentoo GSoC page titled 'Porthole
7 > plug-ins and extensions'. I found the idea interesting and I wanted to
8 > contribute a little to it before I can formally submit a proposal. I
9 > am particularly good in C/C++, Python programming languages and I
10 > always wanted to contribute to open source community. This project
11 > title interests me the most out of every other project ideas. Please
12 > guide me how to proceed towards implementing this idea.
13 > Thank You.
14 >
15 > Sincerely,
16 > Praful
17
18 Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
19
20 For starters...
21
22 Do you have gentoo installed, are you using it?
23 Do you have porthole installed? Have you used it?
24 Have a look at porthole's Sourceforge project pages, look at any open
25 bugs, try to fix an issue or implement a feature request.
26
27 These are all things that will be required at one point or another.
28 Submitting a patch for the project or an open bug at gentoo's bugzilla
29 that fixes a problem with that or similar package is a requirement to
30 qualify for a position with gentoo as a GSOC student.
31
32 Also, the wiki page has had more ideas added to it. Have a look at
33 those as well. Another thing to consider is that we are open to a
34 student's project ideas as well. So if you have a great idea for Gentoo
35 linux project. Bring it forward.
36
37 If you have not already, join the gentoo-soc mail list. You can use it
38 to post questions, etc. to the many mentors. You might also want to
39 join the #gentoo-soc IRC channel.
40
41 I am also available on IRC at #gentoo-soc, #gentoo-guis, #porthole on
42 the freenode IRC network.
43 --
44 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>