From: Angel Perivolaropoulos <justthisthing@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] GSoC 2016: Gentoo-Keys Improvements and the new Meta-Manifest system
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 20:04:01
1 Hello,
2
3 My name is Angelos Perivolaropoulos and I go by the nickname aeroniero. I
4 am a first year undergraduate student of Software Engineering at the
5 University of Glasgow, Scotland but I have been programming since I was
6 quite young and have experience in Python from both my university's courses
7 and my own.
8
9 I am interested in participating in Gentoo-GPG project of GSoC 2016 and my
10 goal is to improve and expand the capabilities of Gentoo-Keys, the project
11 of which Gentoo-GPG is based on, and implement the new Meta-Manifest system
12 for efficient and secure Gentoo Software distribution.
13
14 Gentoo-Keys is a python based project that allows the user/developer to
15 encrypt and sign their data and communications and ensuring integrity of
16 distributed data in Gentoo tree (ebuilds, files and distfiles so that
17 malleability of a distributing server isn't possible) by creating GPG keys.
18
19 The Meta-Manifest system will bring security of distribution of Gentoo
20 Software by providing a much less expensive way of verifiable distribution
21 from Gentoo Infrastructure to a user system, while data is conveyed over
22 completely untrusted networks and system. The new Meta-Manifest system is
23 based on GLEP:58 <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:58>.
24
25 This will all help to maintain the integrity of the main tree, make the
26 developer’s job easier by letting him focus on coding alone and also make
27 Gentoo Distribution safer and more convenient since Gentoo software will be
28 more widely and more safely distributed.
31 More detailed information is included in my proposal. I am looking forward
32 to your feedback and questions.
33
34 - Angelos Perivolaropoulos "aeroniero"
35
36 GSoC Proposal:
37 https://docs.google.com/document/d/14ZCjQuuoymPBgEEOgCs3Evu44t5ZWxfKSjOdU1AfPcU/edit?usp=sharing
38 GLEP:58: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:58