From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] My GSoC Gentoo 2018 Proposal for "Portage powered Android"
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 07:40:20
1 Pengcheng Xu <i@××××××××.moe> writes:
2
3 > I haven’t found much information regarding ARC++ other than the few
4 > write-ups and presentation about the talk at XDC 2016. According to my
5 > predictions, however, I believe Android init is needed, however, as
6 > the aim for ARC++ is to minimize Android Framework changes, so it
7 > should require the conventional Android services as well
8 > (SurfaceFlinger, etc.); this is the case in the Graphics Overview in
9 > the presentation for ARC++.
10
11 Thanks. That makes sense to me.
12
13 > 4. After 3, the main Android system would be sitting inside the
14 > container / chroot safe and sound
15 >
16 > If the Android is in /system, is a container still necessary?
17 >
18 > I consider it necessary, as we may run into issues caused by Android
19 > and GNU/Linux being inherently different in managing the system
20 > (networking, device management, mounting, etc.). With namespaces, we
21 > can reduce the probability of such things happening. Another
22 > consideration is that we don’t want the environment of Android to be
23 > mixed up with GNU/Linux, as having one platform’s tools (shell,
24 > coreutils, toolboxes, etc.) floating around in another platform’s
25 > environment can cause surprises for applications (like something that
26 > expects GNU date being greeted by the trimmed version from Android
27 > toolbox).
28
29 I see. Regarding the BSD vs GNU userlands, I believe you have more
30 experience than I do on this.
31
32 > IMHO, for me I am more interested in a working framebuffer than e.g., a
33 > binary package repository. But you have the final word to prioritize
34 > the tasks.
35 >
36 > Alternatively to a traditional framebuffer, frecon might be insightful:
37 >
38 > https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/platform/frecon/+/HEAD/DESIGN-DOC.md
39 >
40 > Honestly speaking, I’m afraid that I don’t have the required skills to
41 > work with graphics stack. Looking back on Wayland on libhybris on
42 > Android, the intrinsics of Android EGL made it difficult to act as a
43 > Wayland server. And, though ARC++ seems to be working out great, its
44 > scale seems to be enormous. I’m not quite optimistic with this
45 > direction; rather than creating odds and ends that don’t work together
46 > well, I’d prefer something that’s really achievable. Further
47 > discussions welcomed on this point.
48
49 I am okay with this. Thank you for being straight on this graphics
50 issue.
53 Cheers,
54 Benda